What is Internet Marketing?
What Is Digital Marketing?
Marketing is essentially the way that businesses communicate with their audience. It’s how the word gets out about their products and services. So what exactly is digital marketing?
Digital marketing details a specific type of marketing tools. In fact, digital marketing is trending right now and in a big way. The world of technology is growing and changing every day, and businesses that don’t take advantage of it are going to be playing catch-up in the near future. If you want to get ahead of this movement, then keep reading to find out some important facts about digital marketing.
What Digital Marketing Is Not
When you think of mass marketing strategies, the ideas that come to mind are probably what would be termed “traditional” these days. If you are thinking of television or radio, then that is the traditional way to reach a larger audience. To go along with that are print ads and billboard spots.
The idea with marketing before was to “go big.” If you reach as many people as you can, you will get a good return on your investment. Campaigns were deemed successful or not based on how sales increased or decreased as a result of the efforts. And, these efforts were not cheap.
What Digital Marketing Is
Digital marketing takes advantage of technology to communicate in a more intimate way with potential customers. Advertising is accomplished through mobile devices, email, voice broadcasts, blogging, SMS messages, videos and instant messaging. Even creating web pages that are optimized for viewing on mobile devices has become a big trend in the digital marketing strategy plan.
If you hadn’t guessed the connection yet, most of these marketing plans are built around the internet. It is the “information superhighway.” Even those who are not a part of Gen-X are learning how to make their way around search engines and cellular devices. Technology is designed to make things more convenient and those who have begun to employ digital marketing plans in their advertising scheme are seeing the results.
Here’s an example. Email is a part of digital marketing to customers. If you don’t have a Smartphone, you will probably check your email when you get home from work. That could be at least eight hours between when it was sent and when it is actually read. When a message is sent to a customer via text message to their cell phone, it is often read within minutes.
Digital marketing is marketing in real time. It uses advances in technology to keep up with the way that people are communicating these days. If you want your company brand to stay at the forefront of people’s minds, investigate how these new marketing trends can help you.
Is your business in need of a marketing boost? The new wave is in digital marketing. Implementing strategies in this area for business advertising has many advantages for today’s marketers.
Every business needs to vary its marketing strategy from time to time. When something is not working or not advancing the business in the way you have envisioned, it’s time to add a new component.
In short, digital marketing involves communicating through advertising using technology. Advertising on mobile devices, utilizing email marketing with your mailing list, blogging, article marketing, using social media outlets to build your brand – these are all components of digital marketing strategies. It’s varied and each method can lead to a measure of success that you didn’t have before.
Even offline businesses are realizing that digital marketing is the way to go if they want to compete in the market. Customers are looking for more, and they want the companies and brands that they patronize to make the effort to meet their needs.
Advantages of Going Digital with Advertising
There are benefits to adding this new scheme to your advertising plan. Here are a few.
* Quantifiable metrics – With more traditional forms of advertising, you won’t find out about how well your marketing campaign did without a bit of effort. For one, sales on the backend will eventually show if the product is doing well. Test marketing by sending samples to the public or mailing surveys also impart information, but not in a readily usable form.
With digital methods, code can be embedded in banner ads, links and messages to track click-through rates and conversions in “real time” so that your feedback is more immediate. You can also customize what information you gather.
* Low cost – Investing in a digital marketing campaign costs pennies compared to more traditional methods. Creating YouTube videos or audio podcasts requires some software but that usually pays for itself in page views and backlinks to your site.
* Immediate – Want to send a message to a lot of people and let them receive it simultaneously? Send an email or an SMS message. It’s more reliable than using a billboard, and the audience is targeted to your niche. It would be as if everyone who passed your billboard was interested in your product.
* Personalized to your target audience – There are ways to send each message with an individualized greeting that makes it seem like each of your clients or target audience members are being directly engaged by you. The personal touch goes a long way to making the sale.
* Reaching a wider audience – Social media outlets allow you to engage a larger group of people. Those interested in your page on say, Facebook, can all check in and find out what you are up to and hear the latest news in one place.
Are you thinking about adding a new component to your advertising budget? Digital marketing has several advantages.
Using Pinterest is about sharing images and other visuals with others. For business, you can also make use of such images for a variety of brand-building reasons. In this article, we will be discussing the use of video and slideshare boards.
What Is Slideshare?
Slideshare is a slide hosting service. Just like video hosting services, this one allows you to share images saved as PowerPoint, PDFs, in Keynote or in Open Office presentations. These slides can also be shared using sites like Pinterest. Did you create a slide show for a presentation that you gave? Pin it to a board and let others benefit from it as well.
Slideshare supports other formats as well. You can save content from webinars, documents and videos. You can share and comment on content posted here and upload it to other places.
What about Pinterest?
On Pinterest you can share your slide shows by pinning them to a board dedicated to just that presentation. You can organize your pins so that they flow in a logical order that is easy for viewers to interpret. Add descriptions filled with keywords to share what is being viewed in each slide.
What kind of slide shows can you pin? Use them for company presentations. Give employees access to the boards that provide company information such as future outlook for the company, company trends and hierarchy within the company, profits, etc.
Also utilize slide presentation boards for customers. Let’s say that your business is fashion. You can create slide shows that depict how to put together spring outfits and include your products.
Using Videos on Pinterest
Pinterest also allows you to pin videos. Videos are a great way to share information with readers. You can use a video to explain the board or to add something extra visually for your followers.
So, how do you add a video to a board? First your video needs to have an address. Upload it to YouTube. Then, find it on YouTube. Click the “share” button and click on “options.” In the drop down menu at the bottom, click “HD link.” Copy the link that appears in the long window.
Go to your Pinterest account. Click the “Add +” link. Paste that video link and click “Find images.” Select the board where you want the video to appear. Include something about the video in the description box (don’t forget keywords). All that is left to do is to hit the “Pin it” button.
Videos can be used on Pinterest as a way of hosting contests. Host a contest on your site where participants have to upload and pin a video to a contest board. If your business is fashion, the contest could pertain to how to put together a seasonal wardrobe.
How can your business benefit from Pinterest? Try using videos and slideshare on your boards.
How to Use Vine
Vine is Twitter’s new video sharing feature. Like a Tweet which gives you a mere 140 characters to say something memorable, Vine gives you six seconds. Your video loops too so your six seconds repeats.
Creating Your Six Second Video
The actual creation of your video is as simple and straightforward as ever. Grab your favorite recording device and start recording. You have six seconds. The challenge is how to make those six seconds count. How do you grab attention, motivate interaction, or inspire a click with six seconds?
We’re so accustomed to videos that demonstrate a product, interview a client or educate that it can be a challenge to wrap your mind around six seconds. This is where the fun begins!
Here are just some ways you might make your six second impact:
Before And After Pictures – this is an exceptional idea if you’re a coach, trainer, and organizer, decorator and so on. You can flash through several before and after photos and give viewers a glimpse of what’s possible when they hire you.
Showcase Your Products – If you sell products then you can share them via vine. Jewelry is a fun example; you might place your jewelry in unusual locations. Give it a theme and have fun. For example, if you’re celebrating spring then you might display your jewelry with a variety of spring flowers around.
Behind The Scenes – Show a quick video of you behind the scenes in your home office. Or if you’re interviewing someone, grab a snippet of the interview to use as a promo.
Show Your Customers – Whether you provide a product or a service you can create a vine video to show your customers engaging with your business. Make sure they’re smiling!
Once You Have Your Video
Once you’ve recorded your Vine video, the rest is as easy as posting a tweet. Head to the pasture and download the Vine application. You can sign into it using your Twitter log in information. Give the application access to your Twitter account. If you’d like, you can then use the introductory tutorial to walk you through uploading and posting your first video.
A handy green bar at the top of your screen shows you how much of your six second’s you’ve used. SO you can make your video longer, or shorter, if you desire. Add a caption or location. Keep in mind that you’re using this as a marketing tool so chose your caption wisely. Then share it. You’ll have the option of sharing it in Twitter, Vine, and Facebook.
Track your results to see how people respond to your vine video. You may find that it’s a fun and effective way to market your business.
How To Use YouTube Analytics To Maximize Your Video Marketing Results
How’s your video marketing strategy coming along? Video shows no signs of slowing down as a major marketing and communication medium. People love to watch and share videos. SO much so that Twitter has gotten in on the action with their new Vine video application. YouTube is still the big player and if you’re using it, even occasionally, to market your business, then you should be using their analytics too.
What is YouTube Analytics?
YouTube analytics is an incredibly powerful and informative tool. You can use it not only to track how your visitors and viewers watch your videos. You can use it to also plan how you create future videos. YouTube Analytics provides a wealth of information.
How many people watch your videos? How do they view them? Do they watch the entire video? Do they click on links? These are important questions to ask and the answers can have a dramatic impact on the way you create and market your videos.
With YouTube Analytics you can identify the days your videos are viewed the most. You can also identify the videos that are the most viewed and then use that information to create and promote future videos.
How many subscribers do you have? When did they join? What video did they watch first? What motivated them to join? Use this information to build your subscriber base and your audience.
How long are your videos and how often do viewers watch the entire video? You can use this information to tweak your videos for maximum watching time and to analyze where people may start to lose interest.
Where do your viewers and subscribers come from? What links are they clicking on? What keywords are they using? YouTube Analytics provides you with this information. It can help you fine tune your video SEO and marketing plan.
Getting YouTube Analytics
This is just the beginning. YouTube Analytics provides a ton of additional information including how many of your viewers are watching from mobile devices. If you have a YouTube channel or account then you already have analytics. There’s nothing to do except access it and use it.
Simply log into your account and get into your video dashboard. On the left hand side you should see a few menus. Under “settings” you’ll see “analytics.” Click on that tab and you can then see your views, subscribers, demographics and a wealth of additional information. Use it to grow your audience, subscribers, and business.
We all know that digital marketing is out there, but how do you take advantage of it? If you are new to internet marketing (because you are an offline business) or new to using digital methods for your online business, here are some tips to help you get started.
Making Digital Marketing Work for You
* Do your homework – There are many different digital media out there. Which ones are used by your target audience? If your audience uses the internet via the computer and checks their email, it would not be necessary to include mobile advertising in your plan at this time. You won’t engage the people that are in need of your product. Find out what methods will work for your business and target those.
* Email marketing – Just about everyone has an email account. Use a targeted marketing campaign to engage your list about new products, sales offers and also to offer them valuable information that they can use.
* Concentrate on content – This is the “information superhighway” by the way. Content still attracts people to a site. When you provide up-to-date information that is useful to your audience, they will keep coming back and look to find out more about you. Within your niche, you can establish yourself as an expert and build that brand.
* Interact with your audience – Yes you are supposed to tell others about your business, but what about listening to what they have to say about your business? Don’t forget to talk to your customers and readers through responses to blog comments, posting on your social media pages and asking questions and hosting surveys. Let them know that their opinions do matter and that you take their feedback seriously.
* Measure your results – The advantage of digital marketing is that you can test new additions to your advertising in a matter of minutes. While it would be best to give each new option at least three months of testing to see how well it works, you can get data right away with “real time” measurement techniques. Your website as well as advertising programs like Google Ads or AdSense offer tracking capabilities to help you evaluate your traffic, unique followers, backlinks, conversion rates and more. Start small if you are not familiar with it and then advance to more complex metrics as you learn your way around.
* Develop a plan – With all the choices for digital media, how will you begin your plan? Instead of just tackling one area, roll out a plan for a couple of methods simultaneously for a greater impact. If something doesn’t work, you can always revamp and start again.
Are you getting ready to move into digital marketing? Here are some tips for success.